For those of you familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs, you would imagine that for those without basic food and shelter when asked what their immediate need is, would say without second thought say food, water..etc..
So I guess to my surprise when I heard "friendship"
But I guess just to put things in context these are a group of friends -- or rather refugees we are talking about, and whilst seeking refuge from their homeland where they are persecuted because of their ethnicity and religious beliefs they find themselves in Bolehland only to realized that as much as we preach about our Malaysian Hospitality....we are pretty selective with it.
I am somewhat disheartened that I have been ignorant for so long about the state of refugees in Malaysia. Sometimes life just has a way to take over...
Anyway from our session this afternoon with some of them, and little research with Mr Google, the state of things are somewhat depressing. The helicopter view of things is that we have no proper legislative/administrative framework that protects refugees.
UNHCR I believe tries to be politically sensitive in their take of Malaysia when it comes to refugees, if you are interested you can have a read here. If you are somewhat nerdy -- and have appetite for heavier stuff, I found the 50th anniversary report of the 1951 Geneva convention rather insightful.
I guess at the least, if you don't read any of those links...allow me to at least share with you the definition of a refugee...as defined in Article 1 of the convention --
"a person who is outside his/her country of nationality or habitual residence; has a well-founded fear of persecution because of his/her race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion; and is unable or unwilling to avail himself/herself of the protection of that country, or to return there, for fear of persecution."
Refugees are most commonly confused with economic migrants, which really are individuals seeking a better life abroad but their lives are not threatened in their homeland.
Enough on my mini research project, but more on what broke my heart..literally today. That these are happening in the streets of Klang Valley.
- that refugee children -- have no access to proper education
- that refugees are hunted down by those in uniform
- that citizens of Bolehland extort money from the refugees
- that employers cheat refugees of their wages
- that 10-20 people are forced to live in no frills flats
- that most refugees cannot even afford basic necessities
- that our Burmese friends had to sleep next to corpse of their friends for days - because they couldn't afford burial arrangements
- that they cannot call Malaysia home, and can't wait to move to greener pastures US, NZ, Aus
I guess the question to ask ourselves what we can do in our own capacity?
Coincidentally, BFM featured Everyone Has Hope Project today, which I listened in on the way to church. I guess we no longer need to be boxed in by traditional ways to help, care and love those in need. The highlight of this initiative for me, is that they get the Burmese children to take pictures of their own homes, families and friends. Rather than the typical NatGeo approached which makes the refugees etc feel like an object being filmed. There have an exhibition going on now if you are interested.
Just as I thought its time I closed down this blog, I am inspired to write again...how timely. The reality is this is just one of many stories out there that will bring tears to your eyes..the question to ask is..what breaks your heart?
H.
No comments:
Post a Comment