Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I'm not for equality

I'm not for all the gender equality nonsense, ok, perhaps I shouldn't call it nonsense, but at times gender equality is overrated.

I'm frankly not sure why men and women want to be equal? Can't we be complementary? Like how God intended it to be?

From my humble observations, and I would like to say empirical data--but I have no time for things as such these days, I have a theory/hypothesis/whatever you may want to call it..that all of
this is what the workplace has done to women.

The corporate world are sending these subliminal messages, or perhaps there are not even subliminal anymore...the workplace is telling women they can do as much, earn as much, be as successful...blablabla so much so these women return to their very homes with the same mindset/mentality that they are equal partners, they want to take the lead...etc.

Now don't get me wrong, BIG disclaimer here...I have nothing against career women, I am one myself, and I am not saying all women should quit their jobs and stay home, make babies, keep the house spanking clean, nor am I saying that men should be handsoff at home (phew!)

I'm just sad to see in the some of the marriages I have had opportunity to peak into...the women are not only not able to display submission and tender loving care and instead wants to
take the lead in the household. Surely this wasn't how god intended it to be? (you are entitled to your own views, but these are my)

And what's more discouraging is there is so little recognition on the roles amazing mums and encouraging wives play in the successes of their husbands and/or children.

Being career-ish is so in that those who even whisper homemaking is shunned upon. And modern women are finding it so tough to serve/submit.

Having deliberated in my mind, I suspect that since women now can earn a decent living and contribute financially to the family they feel like they want an equal voice, and I am not implying that they should bow to their husbands wishes, but I do miss a good dose of old fashion household partnership.

I guess I have went round this topic only to find that this is a very real challenge for the working women of today. The workplace forces us to act and behave like men and we are then to transform to submissive wives and loving mums the moment we step into our homes.

But what a beautiful sight if you do get the chance to observe a reasonably successful women at work who lives out godly principles around womanhood at home and the extended impact that has.

What have we done that women dare not even articulate their love for dusting and cleaning and cooking and baking...the perception that these are menial task? Or am I truly mistaken and modern women simply despises the above and these are now chores of the domestic/hourly maid...and no there is no real appreciation of the dying art of homemaking, and the whole how attractive a women can be when seen tending to her household needs is merely a myth or a forgotten legend?

Random thoughts after a long work day...

H.

3 comments:

Nick Chan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick Chan said...

Wouldn't be where I am without my mum! Go godly mothers!!

hlpe said...

@ Nick: Likewise for me and me mum