Anyway, when I first decided to update my blog once again, it was just after TeenStreet (and Yes I am aware I am no longer a teen, I was there as a Mentor). The theme of the camp that year was Metamorphosis, or in simpler terms changes. The essence of the camp was changes and choices. Perhaps that's God's way of preparing me for what is ahead. Changes and Choices. In order for changes to take place, we have to make choices, and often this is where most of us hesitate, or rather choose to avoid. However, sometimes, the reverse happens, change forces us to make choices to deal with the change that has took place. And yes, we will wonder why? and how? And if we're lucky find the answers to our questions. Yet couple of weeks ago when I was talking to Ripples (CDPC's youth group) about the Shield of Faith, it was a lesson learnt both for me and them. I guess I was once again reminded plainly that faith is believing in something you cannot see, in something that does not make sense logically, or where there is no evidence to support your belief. This is of course contrary to how the world works around us. In most of our dealings (I was gonna say all, but then again, there are always exceptions, safer to say 'most'), people demand facts and figures as proof, be it a court case or the leasing of a property.
This brings me to my next thought, which I am certain is influenced by the fact that I have been reading this book called Freakanomics. One of the chapter is entitled 'what does real estate agents & the Klu Klux Klan have in common?', and if you haven't read the book, you probably be going "what?" by now. Anyway, I refrain from commenting on the book since I haven't finish reading it, but I might drop a line or 2 about it at a later date. So, this got me thinking, 'What does God & Love have in common?" There are perhaps the only 2 things that facts and figures have yet to been able to provide a comprehensive or satisfactory explanation to. And what else do they have in common? The notion of faith. There is no contract we sign when we believe in God or when we gives our hearts away to another. Yes there is the baptism certificate and marriage vows, but there is also apostasy and divorce papers. But ultimately, these do not guarantee one will have faith or another would be loyal. And faith, like many other excellent values is lacking in society today simply because we can't bring ourselves to acknowledge the existence of a higher power or perhaps demand concrete evidence to give ourselves a sense of assurance.
2 days ago, I had an 'in that spilt moment/second' experience. To cut the long story short, I sorta had a freak accident, where Petrol, and YES this is not a typo, Petrol was splashed all over my face, into my eyes and all. And for that one moment, the only thoughts that ran through my mind was will I see again? and will I remember the faces of people I cherish? Of course my other thoughts was PASSED me a bottle of water, my face is burning. I wouldn't consider it a pleasant experience, with the doctor literally washing my eyeballs, with an injection [if you want the details best to ask me]. Anyway, not that I hope this happens to anyone, but if it does, 1)Wash your eyes with water immediately 2) Rush to the doctor (Petrol can only cause damage to your eyes with long term contact) and there is of course 3) Eyedrops that have antibiotics and steroid to prevent inflammation, and if you can see clearly in the next few days, congradulations, you are officially NOT BLIND! Its day 2 for me, and I seem fine =) PTL. But trust me, experiences like this, make you think, what would you do differently, whose the last person/scenery/item you would like to see.
And I realize, many other things in life also happens in a split moment, and choices we made then can have long term consequences of lifetime impact. The moment you give up trying, breathing, or reaching out you life might end. The moment you did not utter or do the things you meant to, you might end up loosing people you cherish. Moments that were just wasted, because of individual ignorance. Then again there are moments where in that spilt second, you know you've been blessed, or the moment in which you experience heartfelt joy, the moment you know you've found the one, a moment in time where you know that the future ahead is bright, or that one single moment where your dreams come true.
And if we care to break down our years to months, and months to days, and days to hours, hours to minutes, and minutes to seconds, we know that its not the lack of time (which is often used as an excuse) that hinders us from moving forward, reaching out or making difference, its our lackadaisical attitude, ignorance, or inability to "cherish the moment" that maximize it that we ourselves loose out in life. And at this moment, I trully think I am becoming too philosophical, and I think it has to do with the time of the day, and the fact that I should really be soundly asleep.
Last thoughts: But isn't it true? It all happens in that one split moment. Sometimes it take a dose of faith and perhaps our gut feeling to cease the moment and as Nike says it best "just do it". Take on reality head on than dwell in the "what ifs" of life.
And this post is really about me, taking the weekend off, going on road trip, having fun, looking back and thinking about life. Perhaps this post should really be called "looking back" or to be more optimistic "Looking Forward". Or in a corporate world, this would be deem, Mid year appraisal? :P Signing off....
No comments:
Post a Comment